im working on a project again ( i started a long while ago but life got in the way )
of making silver gelatin tintypes. i have the rockland colloid kit and i am excited to use it again.
the first times i tried it, it really didn’t work well, but this time it seems to be doing what it is supposed to do. my first
images were on a piece of metal and a sheet of RC paper. unfortunately the emulsion isn’t dry yet, and it seems to take longer
than i had hoped! the metal one is tiny, and i think i am going to strip it down again, recoat it, and make another image
the RC print worked great, BUT it’s tacky and not ready to scan. the trick is a thin coat … which isn’t as easy as it seems
metal plates ( and paper ) are cold, so the emulsion cools down fast and begins to set as soon as the heated emulsion touches it
so heating pads are important … i’m not good yet, but someday …
there are some great silver gelatin tintypests on FLICKR … and they give me hope !