Category Archives: images on glass and metal

making and using dry plates, and silver gelatin tintypes

silver gelatin tin types, another day ..

i got the kinks out of coating plates and metal the other night.
it seems my water wasn’t hot enough to melt the gelatin completely ..  so i turned up the hot water heater
and within a half hour my bottled emulsion was as runny as water.  i poured 4 small plates 3 4×5 tins and a 4×5 glass plate.
it was easier than it has ever been … and today i had a lot of things to play with to try to get the kinks out of my
shooting and developing.

until today, my images have been hit or miss.  no real rhyme or reason why they came out or didn’t come out.  i guess
you might call it luck.  today i made 6 exposures using black paper negatives, and most of the metal plates i coated yesterday.

the way i mixed the developer was to dole out what i needed and not have it all mixed up at once.  i had 1L of stock dektol, and the other ingredients  – 2 tbs of the white powder and 15cc of the liquid and 2oz of dektol to mix and get  8oz at a time as needed THAT was my problem…

the first two …  nothing worked  …  30+ seconds exposed in the back of an agfa sure shot ( it seems f13 )

i poured out a little straight dektol into a tray and put an exposed paper in there, then in the magic developer, and it worked.

i did this with a few plates, and they worked, and eventually i mixed the dektol with the magic developer …

the reversal additives ( powder and liquid ) were not strong enough to counteract the dektol, and i got negatives not positives when
i exposed my last sheets of paper..

later on, i mixed the rest of the dektol and powder and liquid and made 330cc of stock developer so i wouldn’t have to deal with mixing small amounts.  i later exposed 2 plates.  i used a cyclone 3 …  but its small aperture proved to be too much and they didn’t come out as i had hoped.

i’ll use a faster lens the next time around, so my exposures are short and easier to deal with.

Also posted in alternative process photography, film development technique, liquid emulsion, photographs, technique and style Tagged , , , , , , |

metal liquid light coffee

continuing my experiments with emulsion and coffee

i coated a metal plate, and left it in my retina camera for 4 hours
and processed it in sumatranol 130

instead of a negative image that usually happens with the retina / in camera POP prints
it came out GREEN like the last reversed image …

i boosted the levels with PS and removed the green cast

retina print

porch

more to come !

Also posted in alternative process photography, film development technique, liquid emulsion, photographs, technique and style Tagged , , , , |

reversed ( positive ) silver gelatin images

im working on a project again ( i started a long while ago but life got in the way )
of making silver gelatin tintypes.  i have the rockland colloid kit and i am excited to use it again.
the first times i tried it, it really didn’t work well, but this time it seems to be doing what it is supposed to do.  my first
images were on a piece of metal and a sheet of RC paper.  unfortunately the emulsion isn’t dry yet, and it seems to take longer
than i had hoped!       the metal one is tiny, and i think i am going to strip it down again, recoat it, and make another image
the RC print worked great, BUT it’s tacky and not ready to scan.  the trick is a thin coat  …  which isn’t as easy as it seems
metal plates ( and paper ) are cold, so the emulsion cools down fast and begins to set as soon as the heated emulsion touches it
so heating pads are important …  i’m not good yet, but someday  …

there are some great silver gelatin tintypests on FLICKR …  and they give me hope !

Also posted in alternative process photography, film development technique, images on hand coated paper, liquid emulsion, photographs, technique and style Tagged , , , , , |